Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Prince Charming


As Spirit Day drew to a close, it was Dress Up as Your Favorite Hero Day and Aaron decided he wanted to be someone extra special and quite appropriate - Prince Charming. My 13 year old OS has the pretty face and the affable personality but lacked the actual costume. We don't do a lot of dress up in our family of boys but with a little ingenuity, we came up with a pretty cool outfit.

First we went to Staples and got some metallic posterboard. I didn't know they made metallic posterboard so that was quite convenient. We cut a crown design out of the posterboard and I glued a ton of little beads around it. It looked so shimmery and royal. Kind of like real jewels but not really. Check out the artistry...

Then I had some satin gold fabric and against all odds, I made my first pair of satin prince pants. My dumb sewing machine was acting the fool so my wonderful friend Michele let me borrow her top of the line machine. 
It's a $1500 sewing machine and man, that baby can purr. I'm not sure I'm giving it back to her, I seriously loved that machine. I have told my husband that if he really loved me, he would get me that machine. I'll let you know how that's going...I was definately not worthy to even use the foot pedal of this fine piece of machinery, I savored every second and stitch.

After finishing the prince pants, I also made him a fancy slate grey vest complete with gold trim. It was so simple to make but I was really proud of myself! I am totally in the zone when I am doing things for my family. During a quick trip to the Goodwill, I found a nice man's white collared shirt for Aaron - and then the biggest find of all, I bought a pair of women's shoes. He wasn't going to wear them, rather he took one shoe to school as he searched for his lovely Cinderella. 

As luck would have it, I had a scrap of red satin fabric to make a little sash. When we put the costume together, he seriously looked like Prince Charming! Even when he was standing next to his best bud Zack aka Peter Pan. This was a Spirit Day our family won't forget!




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a reminder...
A man's love is not measured in sewing machinges alone.

Anonymous said...

That's "MACHINES", not "MACHINGES". Please forgive my fat fingers.

Janice said...

Love your creativity Cindy - The best Prince Charming costume ever!! Just wondering...did Aaron have any young ladies requesting the honor to try on the shoe :) ?
Janice

gigi said...

I must say you are becoming quite the seamstress these days!! I also really like the crown. How many beads were left on it at the end of the day?? Very, very cool!

Bleucwo523 said...

Awesome job for your middle Awesome Oliveshoot. He really is Prince Charming

Denise Travis said...

I love reading your blog...your boys always make me laugh!!