Monday, March 3, 2008

Sweet Treats



If you are reading this post, you are sworn to secrecy. I wouldn't even write about my recent baking experience if I thought my oldest son checked my blog regularly. However, Nate, if you are reading this post, Honey, remember Mom loves you very much and would NEVER, EVER, EVER do ANYTHING to harm you...'Member that time when I added just a little bit of chopped spinach to the brownies I baked as an after-school snack? Well, Mom added pureed cauliflower to the banana bread I made yesterday. And that is why I have allowed you to eat as many slices as you have wanted and why I even included a piece of banana bread in your lunch today. It's because I love you, k?

The reason I did this was because I bought the Deceptively Delicious cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld.  Admittedly, it is a lot harder making food with secret ingredients when you have kids that can read. My boys are reading above their grade levels and can easily read a recipe. 
In a cloud of secrecy I nonchalantly steamed a head of cauliflower while making dinner. Normally I eagerly include my OS in my cooking, this time I said nothing and did it myself. My trusty husband was in on the deal so he took a few pics.

When Nathan got his first piece of the banana bread, he commented that parts of the banana did completely mix into the batter. "Hmmm," I muttered, hoping he wouldn't ask any more questions. Praise the Lord, he didn't.

Although it wasn't quite as delicious as my mom's legendary banana bread, I loved feeling guilt-free about my boys gobbling it up. I thought it tasted pretty good, especially with the added cinnamon. 

Has anyone else tried this cookbook? Has anyone tried these recipes on literate people? I am so not a lying person so at this point, I'm adopting the military policy of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are an evil, evil cauliflower woman.

Denise Travis said...

hmmmm....i think that recipe is better kept a secret! Any word on Nate and West Point?

Jenn said...

I have the book and I love it. i have bags of frozen cauliflower puree at the ready. I really liked the avacado muffins, but for some reason I couldn't bring myself to make the cauliflower cream cheese frosting. Sam also likes the spinach and panko-breaded chicken nuggets. I'll have to try that banana bread - sounds yummy! Tim was skeptical about eating the food himself, but he has liked everything I have made so far.