Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Little Buddy Monday, Little Buddy Tuesday





Well, two of my three children are in trouble. I hate the term "grounded," as it conjures up bad memories of my own rebellious adolescence so I will refrain from the terminology. It could be a long and lonely summer at our house because unfortunately our guys are proving there is great truth in James 3:6 "The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body." So instead of being able to use their tongue in conversation with their friends, their punishment is to spend time with me. It's funny to consider that I am a form of punishment but it's true. Aaron, my middle OS had his iPod, book and electric guitar removed from his possession and it has been replaced with laundry, a vacuum and his Bible. Everything is fine right now, he has apologized and we're moving forward, thank goodness but restrictions are a consequence of his actions! We have work to do and I'm not backing down on raising three godly young men of honor. That's my job and I can't give up, can't back down, wimp out, no way, ain't gonna happen, nuh-uh, no way Jose. With one son preparing to leave our nest and go off to West Point, my prayer is to see the two remaining guys ready to do amazing things in their lives. They don't have to be cookie cutter fellas but my heart's cry is for them to glorify the Lord in all they do. 

So yesterday Isaac was my companion and today, well, both Aaron and Isaac are by my side. We could be spending a lot of time together if they don't watch out. 
Ike and I did errands and such and despite it being a punishment, I think he had some fun. I called it Little Buddy Monday and it looks like it's Middle Buddy Tuesday also. 

Instead of strumming the guitar or hanging out with friends, the guys went with me to Nate's final pediatrician visit. Nate got three shots, a TB test and three vials of blood drawn. And to his chagrin, I documented a vast majority of it because I knew you would want to see. Yes, we all looked like goobers but times like this are ending as my oldest OS begins his journey at West Point in a matter of weeks. I only get one more shot (pardon the pun). I took this picture of the door when the guys and I were politely asked to leave for the more "personal" parts of the exam. 
I ended up feeling a little wistful as I realized that my 18 year old son is grown. He can see the pediatrician up to 21 years of age but who does that? I can so easily remember the days when these doctors were measuring his head circumference, checking for ear infections, etc. 
Today Nate didn't need nor want my hand to hold although when he had a woozy moment, I was able to stroke his peaked head (I think I needed it more than he did). 
Now he is venturing off to grown up places and I entered the pediatrician's office feeling like we were turning another page. I think it was a blessing it was Little Buddy Tuesday after all. 

So our summer begins and parts of our life kind of end. Will there be a Little Buddy Wednesday? Probably! Who knows! Stay tuned!

This was Nate enjoying a little Motts Totts juice box to help him not pass out. 

Sigh...

5 comments:

Denise Travis said...

You are such a good mom!!

Denise said...

Well, if I could ground Jon David, he'd have been grounded today too! I think we have many "Little Buddy" days in our future!

>Sigh< I still CAN'T believe Nate is all grown up. sniff sniff. I started on making lasagna tonight for our dinner with Nate tomorrow. :)

Nate the Great said...

Wow I look like a weido. That juice box made all those shots worth it!

Unknown said...

The last time I took Nate into the Dr. to get shots, I had to trick him. and then then after we got there, I had to have two nurses help me to hold him down he was so freaked out about getting the shots.

You keep "buddying up" those little OSes. The Lord's got great things planned for them two also.

Jenn said...

I'm trying to think of some trouble I can get into so that I can be your little buddy for a day. Tee hee.