Monday, July 13, 2009

Good things come in small packages

This was a new one for me. I opened the mailbox and found a small package inside. Upon inspecting the label, I recognized my oldest OS's handwriting. "Why how nice of Nate to send us a little package. What a thoughtful guy! Awww." He hadn't mentioned anything to me about this during our many telephone conversations so it was a special treat.

Then I read the back of the package and learned that my OS graciously sent us...(insert dramatic music)

Applesauce

And not just any applesauce, dear friends. CARBOHYDRATE ENHANCED APPLE SAUCE

And who's the fine maker of CARBOHYDRATE ENHANCED APPLESAUCE??? It is compliments of the United States Army, thank you very much.

Nate sent his beloved family Army-issue MRE (meals ready to eat) applesauce - just rip open the pouch and squirt contents in your mouth. Slap yo mama good! NOT! Per my Soldier, it's utterly horrible.

No one knows why some of the MREs have postage. He thought sending us applesauce would be awkward. I concur. But thank you Jesus he didn't send us the "veggie omelet!" According to Nate, "It's the nastiest thing ever. I don't even think it's real. It's just a nasty, egg-white thing that you could literally slurp out of a straw." Ew! I hate gelatinous things even more after hearing that!

Sometimes while out on the field, squad leaders randomly hand out the MREs. You can get something good or something "inhuman." Occasionally, Nate has heard some of the guys yell, "Oh #%@$!" That means they got the dreaded omelet.

Back to the CARBOHYDRATE ENHANCED APPLESAUCE...why I can just see your mouths drooling with slobber. I know you're jealous. How many moms get their sons to send them anything, let alone applesauce? Such is the life of a mama of three sons - one of whom will be a Cadet Corporal in just a few days!

Loving it!

4 comments:

Carol said...

LOL! That is hilarious. I see he has your sense of humor. Enjoy the apple-stuff (probably a better word for it).

Hillcrest Cottage said...

I love it....that is so fun!
My cadet corporal got in last night for 23 days...It is so fun to have him home and to smell his stinky shoes again. he also has informed of the eggs but not the applesauce. "That's just not right."

Peas on Earth said...

So, this begs the question ... how was it? :)

Holliday Family said...

not related to this post: for some reason, you were on my mind today with regards your job. I don't know what is happening, but I am praying something positive is. God Bless.x