Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Wednesday remix - lizard licking good

In a box of old pictures, I found one that hearkened back to a sweet memory...


You can't be in a bad mood when you eat ice cream. It's impossible to stay grumpy with a mouthful of frozen deliciousness. Probably when people go to heaven, they are given a complimentary pint of their favorite kind as a welcome home present. Maybe God created ice cream to compensate for the ticks He made. Just another one of my deep thoughts, free of charge. ;)


One hot mess that I can't live without
It was during a trip with my OS to Florida, however; I was given an ice cream memory for my heart.


My OS had accomplished the superhuman feat of peacefully sharing one fishing pole between the three of them. Out on Bradenton Beach Pier, Grandma and I watched the guys catch five fish and we left the pier salty, wind-blown and proud. 


Good thing Grandma was getting her hair set the next day. It had been partly cloudy and drizzle had sprinkled our heads and flattened our coifs. We were a frightful sight but the OS were thrilled. Each one had his own fish story to tell.


After lunch Grams recommended we go out for ice cream. We entered The Orange Dipper and glanced at the 50 flavors of gourmet ice cream pondering which one to choose. The answer was easy for Aaron and Ike. One flavor beckoned them. Every dimension of the ice cream screamed to be picked. The name of that ice cream...Lizard Lips. Perfect. Neon green ice cream was scooped into their waffle cones. 


Yep, that's right, we're eating Lizard Lips!
As we licked away at our individual ice cream selected, I observed that all of us ate with personality. Aaron and Ike grinned as bright green covered their mouths. Ike looked like a tiny salamander as his tongue slithered out to grab a bite. Aaron's t-shirt bespoke volumes about his day. Smeared fish goo, ketchup and mustard from his burger heartily welcomed new plops of Lizard Lips.


Cerebral Nate, as my oldest OS, he chomped away at his Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough the same way he does books! He devours them! As we chatted about the day's highlights, suddenly in the midst of all the confabulation a little dot of ice cream appeared directly on Nate's nose. I grabbed the camera and clicked. (I wish I could find that picture now!)


Three generations scooped every last drop of flavor from that day. Lizard Lips and ice cream dips were the perfect topping to our time together...


Here's Grandma back in the day
seriously working that one-piece. You go, girl!


It is a blessed thing to have a great-grandma
So, after reading this post, do you have an ice cream memory you'd care to share?

1 comment:

Marytoo said...

One comes immediately to mind. One of our friends once owned a Baskin Robbins. I know, cooool, right?

Every time we went in there one of our boys would start sampling all the flavors. I don't recall any Lizard Lips, but I'm sure he tried it if it was there. Anyway, after he had had a sample of every last flavor, he would say, "I'll have vanilla."