1. Nicknames. When Nate was a baby, practically from the minute he "popped" out, we called him Shakalanna, Sheiky Sheiky, etc. He has new nicknames I am not privileged to share but they are just as weird.
2. Spins and stuff - My son lets me hold his hand when we are walking in the mall. He will spin me around (just once) and let me put my arms around his waist. Not for too long but it sure makes my mama's hear
t sing. I feel like the most special person in the world.
3. Honor -
I wish I had half the character my son had when I was his age.
4. I love you - Every night, when his youngest brother has gone to bed, my kids have a ritual. Isaac, my 11 year old OS will shout from the top of his bunk bed, "Night, Nate, love you!" and no matter what Nathan is doing or whom he is talking to, he is sure to shout back, "Night, Ike, love you, too!"
5. Cooking - Nate is not the best cook but he can make a mean salad. He is rather clumsy in the kitchen which is funny because he is so adept at other things. His salad is killer, though.
6. Funny - If Nathan wasn't my son, I'd want him as a friend. He's witty and clever. We rarely run out of things to say. I like how he can make funny accents of people he has met. Like the Chinese lunch lady in middle school who would say, "One cookie, 35 cent." That one comment has provided us with years of laughs.
7. Guns - Nate's got some sweet guns. He has served as my inspiration for getting back in shape. We compare guns all the time. I'll never catch up to him but that's ok.
8. Disciplined - He is self-motivated and driven.
9. Good speaker - Nate is an engaging speaker. He was selected to be one of the students speaking to the entire high school as part of graduation this year. I can't wait to hear him and will be sure to bring Kleenex as I cry tears of joy.
10. Cards - Nate will make his own birthday cards on the computer for his friends. They are hilarious and so clever. They are slightly weird but beat any Hallmark card you could ever get.
11. Interesting - My 18 year old OS is well-read and intelligent. He can talk easily about current events, politics, religion, faith, music and much more. He is very opionioNATEd. Here is a link to his blog if you want to see what I mean.
12. The way he treats girls -
Nate respects girls and has a lot o
f female friends.
He has done well with respecting the ladies and not leaving a trail of broken hearts along the way.
13. Sleep - Nathan has an imperfect side though. He has to get sleep. If he doesn't, he's a stinker.
14. Iron - my son irons. Someone is going to be a very lucky wife one day.
15. People - Nathan takes pride in a job well done. He has been mowing lawns for years now and has a very diverse clientele. I love how my OS appreciates different cultures and personalities.
16. Family - What a blessing to have an 18 year old son who likes his family! We enjoyed a birthday celebration at our house. Mark and I made his favorite dinner - Chinese pork dumplings and he had five close friends join us. He didn't kick us out of the dining room, we all were together.
17. Not a potty mouth. Yes, there is an 18 year old guy who doesn't drop word bombs and cuss like a sailor. How do I know? I gave birth to him! Woot!
18. Jesus - My boy has a personal relationship with Jesus. He is not ashamed to tell others about his faith in His Savior. Nathaniel means "gift of God" and we couldn't have picked a more perfect name for our oldest son/olive shoot.
All moms should be so blessed to have a child like him. Thanks Lord for this treasure!