Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Things Always Take A Lot Longer Than You Realize

So if you have been with me so far you know that Spirit Week is a big deal in our family. The resourcefulness, creativity and fun my OS and I put into the week makes my little mama's heart soar. I feel as if I am in the TMZ, the Total Mama Zone, like I am racking up some serious AMP, Amazing Mama Points. 

But that nearly came to a screeching halt the Sunday before Spirit Week began. Michele and I decided to get together after church and make three pair of pajama pants and corresponding appliques. 

My bff prepared some tasty chicken cabbage soup and fresh pineapple and afterward I realized that I had brought the wrong pajama pants patterns to her house. We rushed back to my house, grabbed the patterns and scurried up to her craft room. At this point, we were slightly behind our imaginary schedule but not too concerned.

The mood was lively and jovial as we cut the material and set to the task of cranking those pj pants out in record time. Our machines were purring like kittens and I was especially excited to be using a stitch on my machine I had never used. It's funny the things people, (ok, not everybody, but some people, like me) can get excited about...maybe it's like a guy using a new kind of nail or a fancy hammer, I don't know.

Ike took pictures to document the day. Surely we will be done with these before dinner, Michele and I mused. Yeah, right. Michele spoke these ominous words repeatedly, "things always take a lot longer than you realize," and that became a foreboding truism as the day grew longer and longer and longer. 
I believe this picture is Michele's "things always take a lot longer than you realize" face.  

When the two boys tried on the pj pants, we made some changes and started more custom sewing. Scott is small and his pants were gi-normous. Then Ike felt like his pants were pretty huge too. I guess sixth grade guys don't like their pants poofy. We plodded on.

And then there was me. Michele wanted to make simple elastic
 waistbands but I lobbied for them to have elastic waistbands and matching draw strings. I assured her it wouldn't take too much longer since both of our machines can make buttonholes. We could whip those out in no time at all. She complied and we still remained optimistic. We could doey it! 

Admittedly though we were getting a tired and a little punchy. Michele also said she never sews at night...too many mistakes. Daylight was slipping away and although we were making progress but it was apparent she would be working into the night. 

I averted a horrible accident and a nice little trip to the ER when I narrowly missed digging/shoving/implanting a pin into my right knee. I guess I needed to cut something and with one fell swoop, my knee/pajama pants all hit the carpet simultaneously. It was only then that I felt a little pin in the material breeze past my bent knee. Oh, how I praised Jesus that that unsanitary pin didn't get rammed up there! All I could think about was some medical show I watched recently about a woman with a needle in her knee and wow, it was really, really gross! 

We weren't lazy and we talked while we sewed but there were no coffee or cigarette breaks (HA!) Why was it past six o'clock and these pants were still not done! Ike tried on his pajama pants and got fitted more times when he probably will when he gets a tux for his wedding! 

And the buttonholes were a mess. Maybe the machines were getting as tired as the seamstresses behind them. But we plugged along and bless her heart, when we realized that I hadn't made enough drawstrings, Michele forged ahead and completed the job. 

It was past 7pm and the end was near, at least for this project. Though my shoulders and neck were screaming, I think the satisfaction of spending time with my friend and doing something for my son and his buds made it all worthwhile. That is until Ike started to have second thoughts on the way home and panicked about what people were going to say. I tried my best to remain calm which was a feat in itself. 

I made dinner with the help of my family and immediately after shoveling in the last bit of chicken manicotti, I whipped out my trusty sewing machine and worked on Aaron's Thomas the Tank Engine pj pants.

Why did we do this? I'll tell you why. Love. Pure, unadulterated, mushy mama love, that's why. Love for my children, love for his friends, love of my friend, a chance to bless. I don't regret a minute of it even though I was exhausted. 

And check these out! First, check out Ike's face as he got ready to walk into his class with Orange Train emboldened on his chest! Aren't they adorable! Here are the guys workin' it with their matching pajama pants and appliqued t-shirts. They were a big hit at the middle school and I'm already thinking about next year's design. Yes, I'm insane. 

And Aaron's Thomas the Tank Engine pajama pants, just when I thought I had nothing left in me, well, those pajama pants were about to rock my world...I'll blog about that next.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

This is pretty much the best story I have read in a long time. keep it comin'...