Friday, October 23, 2009

Bus driver, move that bus!


The clock ticked away and the vision of Aaron's room materialized. Surveying the house, I began collecting items that matched the room decor. I just love "shopping" in my own house for treasures! So does the Hubs!

With Ike and the Hubs essentially done with painting, my job began. I got to do the fun stuff. The poster of Aaron's favorite
music group Switchfoot was placed in a frame, a vast improvement from the previous method of display, plastic tacks stuck on the wall. I assembled photos of Aaron's mission trip to Guatemala and put them in another frame. On his dresser, I placed a cool percussion instrument I had given him from El Salvador. We have an old globe which looked perfect in his room. A horribly ugly clay vase I made in middle school
surprisingly matched in Aaron's new room. And Aaron's cherished photo of him and his dad when he was a little boy, found a prominent place on a wall.

This picture is one Aaron used to carry around whenever the Hubs was angry at him and Aaron was feeling guilty. All these little touches gave the room a cozy feel.

Isaac suggested painting a kitchen stool for his brother's room. The stool had been taking space in the garage and with a few coats of spray paint, Isaac's ingenuity led to Aaron having an awesome place to sit while playing his guitar.

The Hubs did one more thing before Aaron arrived home. Using a special paint, Mark made a chalkboard on his wall. We knew he would love that extra touch.

And then there was the coffee cup. I can't tell you how many times my OS has told me how he loves that nubby, bohemian mug. It was incredible how Aaron's favorite coffee cup perfectly matched his room! I think it served as the inspiration to the entire room. The thought of my OS sitting in his room, having a candle lit, sipping on some Peruvian coffee served in the world's best coffee cup doing his homework, man, if that ain't the coolest thing! I was so eager for him to get home to see the drastic change!

As we toiled away on this project, I seriously thought about God. Without trying to be overly spiritual, I feel that my OS's room was a perfect representation of what the Lord did for me, for my family, even for you...

Aaron didn't do anything special to merit a drastic room change. And we didn't spend a fortune on his room. We probably spent about $150 to do everything. Yeah, his room had been a mess but something overtook my desire to merely clean the room. It was love. Aaron didn't get straight A's, or accomplish some magnificent feat. We did it because we loved him. Plain and simple. I felt like we totally poured ourselves out for Aaron. Doing this made me think about Jesus and what He did for someone as unworthy as myself.

Aaron knew we were going to be decorating his room but he had NO idea we were going full-out for him. "Wow, that's a whole lot better than I would have done!" Aaron said as he looked around at the freshly painted walls, his treasured guitars secured to the walls, all the sweeping changes.

This Bible verse ran through my mind as we unveiled the room to Aaron for the first time, "Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory..." Ephesians 4:20-21

Tell me what you think about our Extreme Makeover!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed watching the makeover of your son's room! It looks awesome!! However, something in your writing pricked my mother's heart. You said that your OS had not "earned all A's" and you did not dwell on that. WOW! That hit home with me because I was disappointed in my son's report card this week. (only 1 A)He has a killer schedule this semester and he has worked hard. He could have made better grades, but I should still be proud of him and the young man he is. After all, that is what will be important ten years from now. Thanks for the reminder.