Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Doing hard things - laughing

Later tonight I will do my Wednesday remix. It's a story I wrote about my grandma ten years ago. I had already selected it as something I wanted to share not knowing all this was going to happen...


But since writing is cathartic for me and my heart is straining with pain, I wished to share a tiny bright spot this morning.


Today was the first day of school for two of my OS. Aaron begins his senior year, Ike entered ninth grade. The orange hair, freckle face OS was crestfallen last night as he was trying on some pants for his school uniform. "Do these pants look too big?" he inquired, already knowing the answer. 


Since we do not encourage lying, I had no choice but to be completely honest. "Yes," I erupted, then exhaled and released the giggle that had been developing from the moment he had slipped on the pants.


Starting your first day in high school as a freshman with big pants is hardly ideal so with the prospect that all the pants in his wardrobe were similarly sized, Ike went to bed grouchy and nervous.
As you can clearly see, Ike is not a chunky monkey. 
This morning, however, the Lord gave Ike (and me) an unexpected blessing. My youngest OS awakened me with good news. "I found a pair of slim pants!" he announced as he hugged me good morning. "I was afraid I was going to have to go to school looking like Chris Farley!" I breathed in the fresh dash of cologne around his neck. My mouth guards were still in place, my sleeping mask attractively matted to my forehead (lovely visual) but none of that prevented me from bursting into laughter! He was right, he did look like Chris Farley and if you know my orange hair, freckle face OS, that's quite a stretch considering he has 0% body fat.
He has right,
he did kind of look like Chris Farley
It felt so nice to laugh because I also know my day will contain sadness. In fact, I was still in bed when I began crying and that's how it's going to be for a while, I guess. Later today, my sister will place the phone up to my grandma's ear for me to speak to her. She is now in hospice. I do not expect to have a back and forth conversation with my beloved grandma and it's quite possibly the final time I will say something to her this side of heaven. 


The ancient truths found in the chapter three of the book of Ecclesiastes still possess wisdom. 
"For everything there is a season, 
and a time for every matter under heaven: 
a time to be born, and a time to die; 
a time to weep and a time to laugh; 
a time to mourn, and a time to dance; 
a time to seek, and a time to lose
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak..." 
Aaron, my grandma and I at one of Isaac's basketball games.
It was like an NBA game for her!
As many of you know, grief is a gritty process. This morning, however; I praise the Lord for the moments where I can feel His presence breaking through my sorrow. Today my joy came from a child named Isaac whose name means laughter. 

1 comment:

Words and Heels said...

Loved it :)
you're a blessing.