Friday, June 19, 2009

I fed 11 teenage boys and lived to tell the tale!

I hope you have all recovered from my love letter to beets. Something just came over me and all I can say is that I am feeling a mushy letter for lettuce coming up in the future, just warning you. The lettuce at the farmer's market been absolutely delicious but I'll wait for another time to lavish its praises. However, lettuce was in some small measure, one of the reasons I offered to make dinner for a group of teenage boys last night.

For the past several months, my middle OS Aaron has been involved in an accountability group of about a dozen young men. They are Christian guys who pray for each other, talk about struggles and encourage each other. Where was a group like this for me back in the day??? I could have used a female version of this!

They call themselves BOB which stands for Band of Brothers. Isn't that cool? Dutifully Aaron goes to BOB meetings once a week at a nearby place and the guys just talk about Scripture, share and hang out.

When I have asked Aaron what they talk about, he holds their conversations so sacred, he refuses to tell me. I respect that and see that they are forming a trusting bond, something so many teenagers (and adults) need. I admire his sincere desire to live as Scripture says, "as iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

This week they were figuring out BOBish plans. My middle OS asked if he could go out to dinner with the guys and that's when we suggested hosting a gathering at our house. I looked forward to it all week long because, well, I love to entertain. In my "formative" years, I tried to quell my domesticity but now I've got to say, it's on. I'm full tilt and up in the housewifey hizzy, apron and all.

And it is a joy to have company, especially to have a house full of boys feasting on my food. One day I will have to share my kitchen with their girlfriends, then wives and then hopefully grand-daughters so I savor each moment now as if it were a juicy red, locally grown, in-season beet (sorry, I had to do it.)

For the meal, I made marinated pork tenderloin, brown rice, baked beans, fresh green salad with my own dressing, grilled white corn still in the husk and watermelon. I determined to feed these boys a healthy meal. No hydrogenated potato chips or CheezBalls would enter their lips on my premises, no sirree! We even had homemade soda = fruit juice and Club Soda. My OS love it and it's better than all that other icky stuff.

One by one they arrived until 11 boys ranging in age from 13-18 circled around our kitchen island, held hands and prayed before digging in to dinner. One of the sweetest sights of the evening was when a BOB who's actually named Scott arrived at my front door with his Bible. You gotta love it! My husband, Isaac and I ate indoors while the BOBs enjoyed fellowship outside.

In general, I find guys easy to please, at least in the food department. They gobbled up every bit of the food and even said "please," "thank you," and "this is awesome!" several times. I was blessed to have served them and was so proud of my youngest OS, Ike who willingly assisted me.

And then afterward, they stayed outside. It's blazing hot these days and the BOBs were welcome inside but they crowded around the deck instead. I have no idea what they discussed except to say that when Aaron walked in for a moment and I inquired oh so innocently, "Hey, Aar, are you guys talking about spiritual stuff?" My son said yes but that was the extent of the conversation. I sat in the kitchen by my faithful friend, my sewing machine, and secretly wished I was a fly or a mosquito buzzing about, able to listen. Not to be nosey but just to hear the sweet sound of young men earnestly seeking things of God.

As the night drew to a close, the Scripture found in 3 John 1:4 came wafting into my heart, "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth."


3 comments:

Meredith said...

Oh, how I pray Henry will experience this one day!

Anonymous said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes! What a sweet blessing you are to these boys! It is so important in these days that our teenage sons and daughters have the kind of friends such as your son has found in their life! I loved the picture of those young men gathered around the serving line! I, too, love being a part of my children's friends' lives! Will you please share your recipe for the marinated tenderloin???
Thanks!
Mom of a 16 and 14 year old

bb said...

I love all of your blogs Cindy, but most of all I love the fact that you love Jesus and share your faith. And one day we will meet, if not here, there or in the air.
All glory honor and praise to our Lord.