Thursday, September 17, 2009

Like a bowl full of Jello

I wrote on Tuesday how I enjoyed being normal. Then Wednesday happened and I went to the hospital with a fast and irregular heartbeat. When they hooked me up to the monitors, my stupid heart was pounding at 209 beats per minute. I felt faint and clammy and utterly exhausted. My moment of normalcy was short-lived.

I've lived with a weird heart rate since I was a little girl. When I was pregnant with my oldest OS, I had an especially nasty bout of it, quite similar to Wednesday's episode and was hospitalized overnight for that event. Finally they gave my heart problem a name, it's PSVT, paroxysmal supraventrical tachycardia. With little warning, my heart will flutter like a bowl of Jello. If you know me at all, you know that I do not like gelatinous things, in particular when that gelatinous thing happens to reeking havoc in my body.

A friend called and I tried to ignore my crazy heart and speak normally. I'm not sure I succeeded though. Then another friend called and this time, I felt too weak to talk. The Hubs was having lunch with a friend and when he returned, he noticed I wasn't any better. I didn't complain or protest when he announced we were going to the hospital.

If you are ever looking for a quick way to be seen in the Emergency Room, have a heart problem. You will suddenly become a high priority patient. I was quickly ushered into a examining room and before I knew it, an IV was inserted into my arm after two tries. I felt very weak and lifeless and then the doctor told me I was going to have some medicine pumped in my veins.

The nurse grabbed my arm and asked me if I was ready. Say what??? I couldn't understand why they were asking me this, what was going to happen? Was I going to feel something? The nurse emphatically told me yes, I was definitely going to feel something. No sooner had the medicine entered my system, then my heart rate went from about 209 bpm to about 113 in a matter of seconds. It's like you're driving fast on a slippery road and then suddenly you hit the breaks and stop.

I was blessed because the medicine worked on the first try. I learned that this doesn't always happen. I also learned I do not like bedpans...

I saw the cardiologist today and I'm going to try another medication to help keep my heart beating normally. Have you ever thought about how we take for granted things like a strong and steady heart beat but as of Wednesday, I praise the Lord for my husband being home to take me to the hospital and for my beating heart that's behaving.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

I'm so sorry for your pain and aggravation lately! I'll keep you in my prayers.

Hillcrest Cottage said...

Awwww...not good...get better soon!!!!

Holliday Family said...

oh my goodness, hope you are ok now!