Wednesday, September 23, 2009

When your son is a Soldier...

I like being a mama. Of all the titles I have acquired in my life, the title of mother is among my most treasured. Any derivation of mother, be it madre (what my oldest OS calls me), mama (what my middle OS calls me) or mommy (what my orange haired, freckle-face OS used to call me) those names are like a song to my ears.

I am the mama of a soccer player/ basketball player (Ike) and the mama of a thespian/10th senator in student government (Aaron) and the mama of a West Point cadet and Soldier (Nate).

And with each acquisition of a new title, I am attuned to things which pertain to that OS. Especially the latter. As soon as my OS was accepted into West Point, my ears were keen to anything relating to West Point, the Army and New York. I admit I hardly gave a passing thought to those things previously. Those days are gone. I listen to news about the Army, Iraq, the Middle East and I have read two books about Afghanistan.

Yesterday as I was driving to a speaking engagement to MOPS (Mothers of Pre-Schoolers), I heard some worrisome news about New York City. If I were a doberman, my pointy ears would have perked up. New York City. Terrorists. Bombs in backpacks. Those words get my attention. The city is on a heightened state of alert. Thus so am I. I try to remain calm and not let fear overtake me.

Last night Nate and I had a conversation I'm sure we're bound to have many times in the future. Knowing that he has some important plans in New York City this weekend, I did what any good mama of a Soldier would do. I suggested he cancel his plans and opt for a safer time on post. I also stated that not only did I think he should stay on post but his grandma concurred..

His reply, "Are you serious?" I think a part of him wanted to laugh at our outrageous request.

I had readied a response. "Nate, look, this is my job. I'm supposed to tell you that I'm concerned about you. I'm supposed to ask you to be safe. I already knew your answer before I asked my question but I just had to ask. I say my things and you say yours, that's how it works."

You can't tell a Soldier not to go somewhere and expect him to listen to you because it might be dangerous but hey, it can't hurt to try, right? RIGHT???

I have asked moms I know to pray for safety in NYC especially on Saturday. Not just for my OS but for everyone in that city. All I know is that I will be happy when I hear my OS's voice on Saturday evening. May it be so, O Lord.

1 comment:

Hillcrest Cottage said...

It Saturday evening and, to my knowledge, all is well in NYC. God is good and faithful, holding all His children safely in the palm of His hand.
When I am fearful,especially also being the Mama of a soldier, I am often reminded of the wise words Stonewall Jackson (West Point grad) once said,(not exact quote but close enough) "When I am in God's will, I am just as safe on the battlefield as I am sleeping in my bed at home."
Walking in God's will...wherever that will take both ourselves and our sons, is the safest place we could ever be...and also the happiest! There is so much comfort resting in the knowledge of God's sovereignty (However,doesn't mean that is easy to do....)