Monday, January 28, 2008

Next Step

Today Nathan got a phone call from the local West Point recruiter. He is a 1993 graduate and wants to meet my son. The guy is coming by the school this Wednesday to answer Nathan's questions and maybe meet with the principal. One of the things I have appreciated through this whole process is how everyone seems to be very upfront and honest about what it takes to go to West Point Military Academy. They aren't sugar coating this experience, I feel like we are getting an honest appraisal, perhaps more than at a traditional university. My son is Army strong but am I? He can learn to run in the freezing cold and understand military strategy. He will be able to scale walls and carry a rifle with ease. But me, y'all, I am so terribly weak and vulnerable. I am such a wimp. Probably can't even do a decent push up if my life depended on it. I'm not talking about my physical strength. I know that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, I have to tuck that truth deep into my heart.
 
I know that when I am weak, He is strong. What would I do without my Heavenly Father right beside me? As my friend Janice reminded me, the Lord knows what it's like to give up your beloved son. While we were walking on the campus, I began to cry as I thought about my dad. 
He never met any of my children having died when he was only 44 years old. Warm tears streamed down my face as I thought about how proud he would have been of his grandson. I thought about my mother-in-law who is with the Lord now and wondered what she would have had to say?

Thanks to some sage counsel from another friend, my precious husband reminded Nathan of this; he is going to a success anywhere he goes. Mark is always a source of encouragement and perspective. It is so good to lean on a loving man and a Heavenly Father. 

When Nathan was staying overnight in the barracks, he called to check in. I asked my OS, "Well, what do you think? Do you want to go to West Point?" He gave me the best answer I could have wanted, "I like it but I'm praying about it."

I'll keep you posted. 



4 comments:

Denise said...

So true! Your heavenly Father knows how you are feeling. He made the ULTIMATE sacrifice with his son. Hang in there. HUGS!

Anonymous said...

I am finding that the hardest part of this is the wait. Wait to see what other offers Nate gets. Wait to see how the next interview goes. Wait to see what Nate decides. Then I remember... God already knows all that. What a fool I am. It's all in His hands.

Denise Travis said...

Definitely keep me posted! I am eager to hear what Nathan decides to do! Reading about how strong he is reminded me of the story you once told me about Nathan divebombing dolls into the kimode. =)

Lindsey said...

Wow...West Point! How cool is that? Well, I hope he gets in, but the cool thing is that even if he doesn't, God will provide some other place for him to go.

Definitely keep posting! I have enjoyed reading all of your posts. :-)