Thursday, August 13, 2009

When strangers speak the truth

Have you ever had someone who doesn't really know you say something very profound to you?

And have you noticed that when that happens that person usually is clueless as to the depth of the statement s/he has just made?

If you answered yes to these questions, you will understand what happened to me today at the Apple Store.

I had scheduled a One-on-One appointment with a skilled Apple technician because as of Wednesday, I became the proud owner of a brand new aluminum 15" MacBookPro. This computer purchase was necessitated because I was never the owner of the MacBookPro I have been using years with my job. But when I lost my job in June, essentially I lost all rights to that computer. It wasn't mine, was never mine and they deserved to get it back. It's as simple as that. On this cloudy summer day, I brought both
computers to the Apple Store to make sure I had transferred all the personal stuff from the old computer to my new "baby."

Austin, the Apple guy, guided me through the process and everything was going quite well. I had been looking forward to the appointment and getting the job done. With great ease, Austin helped me and erased non-work items off the computer.

And then he said it...

"There won't be any trace of you on this computer."

And with a nod of my head, Austin clicked a few more things and 1,866 items began to disappear before my very eyes.

I choked back the tears. I thought to myself, "Don't cry. Don't. Cry. You're at the Apple Store for Pete sake! Puh-lease!" So I adjusted my emotional big girl panties and didn't cry. Wow, that wasn't easy! There were some quiet and awkward moments where neither Austin nor I spoke. I composed myself and watched the computer transition from being something I used and personalized to being just another inanimate piece of work equipment ready for someone else. Austin was right. There isn't any trace of me on the computer.

I hope I will be remembered for the work I did and the love I poured into it. But more importantly, as a wife, mother, sister, daughter, friend, oh how I want to have lived a life that matters. I pray that the traces of me I leave behind are worthy of the life I was given.

Psalm 103:15-16 and verse 22

As for man, his days are like grass,
he flourishes like a flower of the field;

the wind blows over it and it is gone,
and its place remembers it no more.

Praise the LORD, all his works
everywhere in his dominion.
Praise the LORD, O my soul.


5 comments:

Jenn said...

There may not be traces of you left on the computer, but I know there are traces of you on every kid in Wake county who ever heard you speak. Even on the smarty-pants kids who thought they were too cool to listen.

And I am a proud carrier of Cindy traces!

Meredith said...

I was going to say the same thing, and I don't even *know* you the way Jenn does.

Carol said...

That computer was just a convenient and very helpful piece of metal - a tool in your hands. However, you are living flesh and blood with a heart to share what is good and right in God's eyes and you did time after time - even when you felt overwhelmed, ineffective, downtrodden, etc. God used you - a very precious and fined tuned instrument in His hands - to show the world His love and concern for the very kids He created and placed in their mothers' wombs. I was just thinking about the program, wondering if we made a difference, and then I heard the words, "You are worth the wait." If nothing else was effective - the games, activities, even our testimonies - hearing someone say that you have worth is priceless. One day - in heaven - you will see all the lives that you touched - all the Cindy traces. I am sure of it.

In the meantime, who knows what God has planned for you and your new - VERY OWN - computer! (He does).

Love you!

Carol said...

That computer was just a convenient and very helpful piece of metal - a tool in your hands. However, you are living flesh and blood with a heart to share what is good and right in God's eyes and you did time after time - even when you felt overwhelmed, ineffective, downtrodden, etc. God used you - a very precious and fined tuned instrument in His hands - to show the world His love and concern for the very kids He created and placed in their mothers' wombs. I was just thinking about the program, wondering if we made a difference, and then I heard the words, "You are worth the wait." If nothing else was effective - the games, activities, even our testimonies - hearing someone say that you have worth is priceless. One day - in heaven - you will see all the lives that you touched - all the Cindy traces. I am sure of it.

In the meantime, who knows what God has planned for you and your new - VERY OWN - computer! (He does).

Love you!

Hillcrest Cottage said...

I'm back from my blogging vacation.

Wow...I almost posted that exact verse this morning. Thanks for the reminder...God had already spoken it to me. I think I am getting the point that it's what I needed to think about today!!!

I KNOW there are great things ahead for you. I can't wait to hear about all your new adventures!