Thursday, August 20, 2009

Wow, that was bad, really bad

I made a really bad side dish yesterday. A dish so mind-blowingly bad, it rivals the escarole soup my mother made decades ago which was beyond vile! Yes, it's true!

I was looking forward to using my farmer's market produce and impressing my family with another culinary wonder. Alas, I was not successful. I'm still trying to figure out what went so terribly wrong.

Maybe it was that the recipe called for rice vinegar but I used the apple cider vinegar instead? Or maybe it was because the recipe called for ONE cup of vinegar and one scant teaspoon of sugar? Hmmm, I'm still trying to figure it out.

After chilling the salad for an hour, I took it out and stirred it with a spoon. I noticed that some of the dressing got on my fingers and it stung. Why, why, why?

But when I sat down at the dinner table and tried the salad, I discovered the answer... the salad was ridiculously sour! I thought maybe someone in my family likes the salad so I didn't say anything and monitored everyone's reaction. I asked the Hubs what he thought. I held back the laughter and wow, was I surprised when he said it was good. Did he really think it was good? Was he just trying to be a nice husband? Or was he simply trying to stay out of trouble???

I'm not sure the Hubs even tried the salad. Aaron did though. How did I know? Well, his eyes nearly bulged out of his head, that's how! He thought if he had another bite, his tongue might fall off! We then determined that the salad was inedible. It was, in modern day terms, an epic fail.

Here is a dramatic re-enactment of Aaron's facial expression after trying the tomato and cucumber salad.
My tomato and cucumber salad now tops the list of WWSD - world's worst side dish. Have you ever made something so hideously horrible it lives on in infamy? Let me know, I need a good laugh!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I love a good cucumber and tomato salad. I didn't appreciate it when I was a kid, but now I love it. And I would think that using apple cider vinegar instead of rice wine vinegr would affect the taste, but it shouldn't have made it taste bad, just different. It does sound like the ratio of vinegar to sugar was off. Did it call for any oil or water?

Anyway, I have made some sad dishes in my day! I once tried to make bread with no recipe. Ew.