Thursday, July 14, 2011

Wednesday remix - no more land tortoises

So sorry for the Wednesday remix delay. I knew what I wanted to post and it was a matter of scanning the pics, etc. which always takes longer than usual.
Can you say ouch? I can. 
On a side note, I'm having elbow surgery on Wednesday. It's not major surgery but it might delay some posting since it's my right arm, my "writing arm." Time permitting, I might create some advance posts in the interim.


But back to the remix... Tonight I offer my post in honor of my oldest OS who spent two weeks in El Salvador with his bonita and two weeks with the fam this summer. With all that he has accomplished as a young man, Nate has embodied the Romans 8:37 spirit in being "more than a conqueror" in so many ways. By his example, Nathan has shown me how to Do Hard Things. In recognition of our collective swimming accomplishments both past and present, behold my toe-headed boy back in 1995. 
Nearly all known floatation devices were employed. 
The only kid on the swim team with the works. No shame. 
This is sweetest sugar boy I've ever seen in the pool!



There is nothing more precious or inspiring than seeing your child doing something you, yourself cannot do. Replete with floaties, nose plugs, swimming goggles and a noodle, that boy persevered. He didn't worry about how he looked, my OS just wanted to stay alive during the swim meet! Cheering from the pool side, I was crazy proud of him!
As you can see, Nate didn't inherit his daddy's natural love of water. At least for a short while, my OS possessed his mama's land tortoise qualities. 


Go Nate, go! You can doey it! He has come a long way as a cadet at West Point since completing survivor swimming his yuk year. 


Then in a strange twist of genetics, I believe that this summer, I came to inherit his determination. 

Oh and I can barely believe what I'm about to tell you! It's no coincidence that AT THE SAME POOL, I jumped again into the deep end of the pool with even less forethought. And then although lacking any semblance of finesse, I stepped/jumped off the diving board 15 times yesterday. Here's the amazing footage and it's ok if you laugh, just keep it to yourself. Every time I see this video, I feel incredibly embarrassed and joyful. My youngest OS informed me that I "frolicked" off the diving board. Kids these days...


Years separated our victories but we have broken through barriers. Nate was one of my heroes when he was five and will always be as a man, son and Soldier. 
Thank you, dear readers for your messages both public and private. Keep doing your own hard things, if I can do it, so can you by the power of the Lord. 

3 comments:

Hillcrest Cottage said...

Yeah!!! for your accomplishments... both of you.
Hoping your surgery goes well.

Erica said...

Cindy! You look like a fish! So proud of you. Stacy thinks you're the best! We love you so much. What a blessing you are us. Way to go on 'Doing Hard Things'. Props!!!

fingerprints said...

You were so elegant in your swimming strokes! No land tortoise qualities there! :)

Julie