Thursday, October 30, 2008

Happy Birthday!

Here are some fun things we got Ike for his 12th birthday!

I found this awesome book, "You Gotta Be Kidding!" by Randy Horn. It is a crazy book of "would you rather" questions. 

Would you rather...
Turn into a fly 
OR
turn into a cockroach?

Would you rather...
Have no teeth and try to eat a big bowl of caramel popcorn
OR 
try to eat four bagels?

Would you rather...
Get poison ivy all over your rear end
OR 
between all your fingers and toes? 

Out of all the gifts we gave our youngest OS, so far this book seems to be the gift he likes the most. Ike completely grossed me out as we drove to my nephew Jon's 3rd birthday party. Anytime a 12 year old can repulse his mom is a good day. Although I can usually keep pace with my three OS in the gross department, I must say You Gotta Be Kidding pushed me to the limit. By the time we arrived, I had more than a day's worth of disgusting questions about spit and pus. It was fun though, I think it will elicit some interesting dinnertime conversations!

Then Ike got a new CD collection of Adventures in Odyssey stories. 
You should listen to this wonderful series of radio programs by Focus on the Family. Ike learns Biblical truth in an entertaining and educational way and whenever I join him, I always find a fresh word from the Lord. They aren't preachy or lecturing, they are humorous and truly worthwhile. You can also listen to the series on the radio with this link. Ike does this all the time, too!

And I found this travel version of Hang Man for Ike. It is a wooden game with an erasable whiteboard and self-storing dry-erase marker. It should be cool to use when we make longer car rides and I'm hoping Ike will let me borrow this for my trip to El Salvador on Nov. 15th.

Mark was out of town on Ike's birthday but being the great daddy he is, he wrote on a card for his boy. In the card, Mark included a handmade coupon entitling Isaac to his all-time favorite dinner. Crab legs. Isaac has been asking for crab legs since the last time he had them. I think if our growing boy actually paid for crab legs, he would ask less often!

So after eating pizza and birthday cake at Jon's b-day, we went to Sam's Club and I purchased $47 worth of giant Alaskan king crab legs. We gorged on the ocean's delectable treasures. 

Sounds like a fitting way to celebrate our sweet boy! Psalm 127:3 "Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him." 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the Odyssey cd's!! I used to have all the tapes when I was younger. Oh man, those are great and so fun to listen to. Way to go on the good birthday gift buying. :)

Jenn said...

Great gifts! I used to get the Odyssey magazine. Loved it! And that other book reminded me of when my brother and I would play "what's grosser than gross?" Eeeewww.