Saturday, March 7, 2009

Don't try this @ home

The other day I was watching Good Morning America and there was a segment about using everyday products for unusual things. I saw an idea and I said to myself, I said, "Self, that sounds like a great idea!"

So last night just before bed, I took three pair of earrings and soaked them in ketchup. Usually we use ketchup for things like french fries and stuff but I thought what the heck, let's go crazy. It's the weekend after all. 

Here are the before pictures. 

You will observe that prior to the earrings being emerged into the ketchup, they look tarnished and dull. When I placed the earrings into the ketchup, then they just looked gross. 

I went to sleep and eagerly awoke this morning to see if my friends at GMA were right. 

My DH came downstairs and I told him to grab the camera. I wanted to capture the moment and it would hard for me to wash ketchup off of my earrings and take photos. 

So you be the judge. Do you notice any difference? 

Would you put your silver jewelry overnight in a couple of tablespoons of ketchup? I think the ketchup ate some of the tarnish off the earrings but not completely. Now I'm torn between trying it again or not. 

I have used silver cleaner before but it smelled so noxious. Then I googled and found that you can clean silver with aluminum foil, boiling water and baking soda but again, the odor nearly bowled me over. Think sulphur, think ew. It definitely worked but I was afraid if I inhaled too deeply, it would have corroded all the varnish off of me as well and I have a lot of tarnish!

Any other wacky ideas of yours are appreciated

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Hi! Thanks for the kind blog comments. Unfortunately we won't be able to attend PPW. It's just too far. But DS is coming home for Spring Break, so we are all very excited and making plans for a bunch of fun stuff.
I hope Nate is feeling better and you guys have a great time!

Anonymous said...

I have one for you to try...

To polish jewelry, drop two Alka Seltzer tablets into a glass of water and immerse the jewelry for two minutes.

Seems to be a few uses for those Alka Seltzer tablets... dont' have any on hand to try but sounds interesting :)

Now look what you can do with Alka Seltzer . . .clean a toilet! Drop in two Alka Seltzer tablets, wait twenty minutes, brush and flush.

To remove a stain from the bottom of a glass vase or cruet, fill with water and drop in two Alka Seltzer tablets.

Clean a thermos bottle by filling the bottle with water, drop in four Alka Seltzer tablets, and let soak for an hour (or longer, if necessary.

Unclog a drain by clearing the sink, dropping three Alka Seltzer tablets down the drain followed by a cup of Heinz White Vinegar. Wait a few minutes, and then run the hot water.

Looking forward to seeing you at PPW! Patti Hoffman

Hillcrest Cottage said...

I hope you are cleaning your jewelry for PPW. Have an awesome time with your son!!! My bags have been packed for three day, and we are leaving on that jet plane early Thursday a.m. Can't wait!!!!