Sunday, March 15, 2009

PPW Peer Pressure

I guess technically they call it peer pressure when you do something just because everyone else is doing it. I have devoted a large portion of my life encouraging teenagers to avoid peer pressure but this time, I have to say I joyfully succumbed to the temptation. I was sucked right in and I have no problem with that. 

Sure, you could diss me and say that I had a weak moment when Stacey, my friend and fellow Plebe mom, called and told me she was getting a West Point parka and that I HAD to have one.

Or you could say that you think I deserved it. That I had shown my mettle as a mom having survived leaving her baby at West Point for R-Day aka the proudest and saddest day of my life and that in some small measure, my new coat was a tiny reward for being a WP mom. 

Honestly it doesn't matter to me. I am now the proud owner of a West Point parka, the same kind that the cadets wear and may I say, I like it. I like it a lot (said in the same way as Jim Carey did in Dumb and Dumber). 

Here is a picture of me before I had the parka. You will observe that I was lifeless, bummed out, like there was a hollow place in my heart. Sure I was wearing my West Point Mom sweatshirt and had my Proud Parent of a West Point Cadet canvas bag, but something was still missing. 

This is me seconds after donning the parka with the USMA 2012 patch on the pocket. Suddenly the clouds lifted, angels began singing and stringing their harps, birds began chirping, you get the idea! I was refreshed and invigorated. 

In fact, Stacey and I looked so fly in our parkas that when my husband took the picture, we over-exposed the picture! That's how good we looked!  
It was pretty special seeing so many parents strutting around in their parkas. I saw one dad with his parka and the patches USMA 78 and 2012 which means he graduated from West Point and has a cadet currently enrolled. 

Although I have been eagerly anticipating spring, I confess I want the weather to turn cold for at least a few days. That way I will have an excuse to wear my parka to the grocery store or as I go speaking into schools. 

This heavy, black wool parka itches my bare skin but I will gladly pretend to be comfortable for a little while, in the hopes that someone will notice that I am wearing a West Point, standard issue parka! If you see me up at the Teeter (local grocery store), please gush over my latest purchase! Make a fool of yourself marveling at the craftsmanship and glamour of it all. I can't wait to introduce you to my new coat! Where is snow when a West Point mama needs it!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is help available to people like you who struggle with overcoming temptation. Succumbing to peer pressure is never a viable option. How can you give into this kind of thing when you've preached against it all your life! This is hypocrisy at its highest and most disgusting form!

-Love your weird and bored (and best) son

Nate

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, I succombed to the peer pressure, too --- after I saw that you had one. Bought mine on Saturday at the Cadet Store. But since I bought mine late, I get to sew my own patch on myself. Just thought you should know you contributed to the delinquency of another WP Plebe mom. Now how does that make YOU feel? :D

Anonymous said...

Oh, and that last comment was from me --- you can have your receipt back since I now have one of my own!!

Carol

Hillcrest Cottage said...

My husband planned in advance to purchase the parka, thus he didn't pack a coat knowing his new parka would keep him warm. I just couldn't justify $90.00 X 2, so I unselfishly allowed him to make the parka purchase.But, I wanted one REALLY bad.When they were sewing on his patch was my weakest moment. I almost caved in.
I revisited what my husband and I call the "Three-Cornered Hat Principle"...and this comment is morphing into a blog so I'll stop.
Needless to say, I still want one. I hope you enjoy yours and hope your week with all 3 guys will be awesome...and cold enough for parka wearing!!!

Hillcrest Cottage said...

Another comment by me...in answer to your question on my blog...You are a Gray Hog on steroids. You are Gray among the Gray. I really just seem Gray in my regular world.
But...when people ask, "How is Clayton doing?" I assume they want a real answer and two hours later they are free to leave...ha.Even my own sister-in-law said,"Are we going to have to hear about this for FOUR years?"
Supportive, isn't she?