Monday, February 8, 2010

Hoarders

Have you seen the A&E program Hoarders? I watch the show every week on Channel 161 on Monday nights from 10-11pm. If I don't watch the new episode, I DVR it. Yes, I am a faithful follower.

One of the reasons I like the show is I have a celebrity connection. I have worked closely with a frequent expert on the program.

A few years ago, hoarding and organizational expert, Geralin Thomas helped me transform my home office. I was NOT her first client nor am I a hoarder but wow, she was amazing! My home office had previously been a place of embarrassment and dread but with her assistance , my office became a thing of personality and beauty! As I watch Geralin work with her hoarding clients, I often hear her saying things to the hoarders that she said to me. I'm sure that is mere coincidence, right?

Another reason I like the show is that it's fas- cinating. There are these distraught people living in absolute squalor and they toil and lament throwing out the smallest thing. A piece of paper, a withered basket, a mildewed book, everything appears to be impossible to dispose of properly. There is filth and dust everywhere and they agonize over minutiae! It feels like a personal victory to me when the people seem to make progress but I admit the show can produce anxiety in me as I see their mess flash over the tv screen.

And as I sit in my family room on Monday nights, just as I'm ready to kick my judgemental side into full gear, I am chastened. The reason is that on each Monday night, during a commercial or when the program ends, I begin looking around my own house and discover things that need to go. In my purse, my closet, my dressers, there is stuff that has long overstayed its welcome and usefulness. It is freeing to release things that are no longer needed but honestly it can be sad.

I originally had this post almost ready to go several days ago. I didn't publish it because I hadn't accomplished the thing I was going to write about. But I'm mustering the courage to do it today. I am going to do it no matter what!

I am saying goodbye to an 18 year old washrag.

I cannot tell you the age of any other washrag in my house but this one is special to me. I might even say I love this washrag. The threadbare cloth belonged to my oldest OS when he was a little boy. Nate will be 20 in a few months and it is/was a Barney washrag. Most of the purple dinosaur has been scrubbed away but it's been the first washrag I reach for in my linen closet for lo these many years.

My OS has long since parted ways with Barney. He's a yearling at West Point and has no affinity whatsoever to this thing.

But I'm a sen-timental mama. This silly washrag represents an adorable, toe-head boy who is my pride and joy and is now a remarkable young man full of ambition and integrity.

When Geralin helped me in my home office, I would find myself struggling with getting rid of things. She gave me permission to dispose of things and assured me that if I threw something out, it didn't diminish the love I have for that person! What a revelation!





So with that in mind, thank you Barney washrag for the memories! Thank you for doing such a great job all these years! You've cleaned a lot of body parts! ;) You certainly outdid yourself but I'm making room for new memories and really hoping Nate will find the West Point gift shop has a West Point washrag or a Digital ACU towel for Mother's Day!

1 comment:

Geralin Thomas said...

Cindy,

This is such an enjoyable post.

I know moms everywhere can relate to this on many levels. For some it's a garment of clothing or a toy they can't bring themselves to discard.

Wonder what gets dads misty-eyed and sentimental.

Thanks for sharing your organizing experiences with all of us. You are such a FUN client to work with.