Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Oh Happy Day!

On July 9, 2007 while just exiting a streetside restroom in Lima, Peru, I got mugged. My pricey camera was pulled off my shoulders and back and that was probably one of the most startling experiences of my life. The bad guys weren't trying to hurt me, they merely wanted my camera. I and my trusty 14 year old warrior girl Caroline, who is American but I call her one of my Peruvian daughters, fought off the robbers. I screamed and kicked them where the sun don't shine and a few other places but ultimately they ran off with my camera. Not a good day, duh. 

Fast forward a year, I'm back home and this July 9th is joyous. Yeah, we have a stomach virus wreaking havoc on our family but it's all good. Our son wrote us! In our mailbox, I discovered not one, not two, not three but FOUR letters from our boy! There are not enough exclamation points to describe how I feel to read his words and glean his personality. Here are just a few and I'll try not to be obnoxious !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I count it a privilege that our NC (military word for New Cadet) took the precious time to write. Some parents have yet to hear from their child and I feel for them deeply. I do not take it for granted that we have these paper treasures from our soldier and will guard them close to my heart forever. 

As we gathered around the family room to read his letters, I thought to myself, "this is what it used to be like before email, AIM, facebook, texting." 
Writing letters is a forgotten art and in some way, I have enjoyed putting pen to paper. I'm a writer so it comes fairly naturally but my two remaining OS certainly aren't but what sweet messages have poured from their fingers. Aaron sends funny drawings, Ike sends Scripture. Aaron writes about the day's happenings, Ike shares that he has thrown up. My DH dashed another letter out to Nathan as soon as he read Nate's messages. They are so beautiful, I have no choice but to weep. 

I will write shortly about some of the contents of his letter. Without violating his privacy, I think some of you would enjoy knowing a few details but let me tell you the latest on the toe.
Although still purple, his big toe feels much better since he got it drained. Getting a toe drained doesn't sound like fun but I'm relieved to know he's ok. I wrote him that he had so many prayers that not only should that toe be healed in Jesus' name but quite possibly he might have grown a third big toe as a spare! 

Please keep praying not only for our family but for the other cadet families out there eagerly awaiting news from their NC. It's tough when no news comes your way. In a few days, we anticipate phone calls and I can't wait to hear his voice.  Major props to my homeslice Beth Anne who documented the first few moments when the letters arrived, love you, BA!

Getting letters from your son is better than getting mugged in South America, that's a fact, Jack!

HUAH big time!

mama of a soldier

Romans 12:15 "Rejoice with those who rejoice, mourn with those who mourn." 

4 comments:

Denise said...

What a treasure! It was so nice to hear his words and know more of what he's doing. I think about him so much and miss him!

Anonymous said...

YOU aren't the only one who got mail! We received a thank you note for the graduation card we sent N8. He has his mother's gift for writing ;) It is a lovely note (on gr8 paper!)

Anonymous said...

I love that you and Mark just so happened to be wearing your West Point parental shirts... I love it!

Anonymous said...

That's MY boy!!!

I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders simply hearing some that he's not only adapting, but actually enjoying some things. Oh yeah... He's an awesome soldier!