Sunday, July 13, 2008

Phone Call


Let me offer a big shout out to the cadre, I understand I now have a "fan base." I'm flattered, nervous, paranoid, gee, thanks... I'm watching every word I say for fear of more push-ups coming a certain NC's way. 

After a weekend of waiting, we finally got the call from our son. Now I find myself in a foggy, numb state after speaking to him. Time passed so quickly, just 10 minutes of conversation, 600 seconds and poof, it's over. 

I wished he sounded more happy but I'm glad we got to talk. This is not summer camp where he gets to hang with friends and play archery so I should have expected it. The tone in his voice sounded weary and perhaps a little grouchy. I think I'd feel the same way if I were in his shoes/boots/low-quarters. 

Days of waiting and now I feel blah. When he said, "I have a minute left." I just kept telling him, "I love you, baby!" because I wanted to make sure I told him that before he had to go. The house is emptier without him, I feel sad in my mama's heart. 

We tape-recorded the conversation which might sound really cheesy but considering I've already listened to it twice, I'm glad we did. My extended family can hear our conversation and I noticed I felt better after my mom heard his voice and tried to discern how he was doing.

I'd appreciate continued prayers for my son and the challenges he has ahead of him, some that are particularly difficult for a mom to even imagine. We are getting Army Strong one way or another and can do all things through Christ who strengthens me/us. 
Picture taken from West Point chapel. Shoes are not mine, they are the Superintendent's. 




7 comments:

Jenn said...

YAY for the phone call! I can't imagine how good it was for you all to hear his voice, even if it was weary.

Bleucwo523 said...

So happy you heard from Nate. I'm sure it does him alot of good to hear all of your voices (you, Mark, Aaron & Isaac".

Love Lorri

Denise Travis said...

You really are such a good Mom!! I can only imagine how tough this is. I giggle a little bit when I think of the story you told us about how you tried to introduce Nate to dolls only to find him divebombing them into the toilet. Rest in the knowledge that God has had a plan for your boy since the very beginning!!!

LOVE the new background by the way!

Unknown said...

Love your blog! I found the link in the First Call newsletter.

Anonymous said...

I loved your blog about waiting for the call and the call. Now that I got the call and one letter, I am not certain whether to want another as the tone in both is similar to your NCs - trying to endure but oh so weary.
Blessings to you and thank you for your bravery in writing.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I am so glad you got the call. I know how important it was for you to hear his voice. I loved hearing it and glad you taped Nate's phone call. He is going to do awesome. Keep the faith honey. Beast is almost half way over. I love you.
love
Mama

Anonymous said...

I am a West Point grad from Class of 1975. One of the great things about West Point is the intensity of the experience, both good and bad. Your blog awakened that in me and brought tears to my eyes. My first month at West Point was really tough, the only reason I did not quit was because I could not bear the thought of going home and people thinking I could not cut it. So it does not surprise me that in the first phone call you got that weariness. Frankly, it took me twenty years after West Point to realize it, but it was true for me and is true for your son: he is in a great place doing great things and he will have experiences and friends that he will never forget. God bless him and your family. And to the cadre reading this, you too!

Harold