Thursday, July 31, 2008

Face Painting Fun

Since my oldest OS (oliveshoot) wasn't able to attend our family reunion, I didn't want him to be forgotten. He is never far from my heart and thoughts. I was wearing my West Point Mom t-shirt but I thought it might not be enough. He had to be with us in a more meaningful way. I looked around and saw all the kids getting fancy face painting during the Talent Show.  That's when I got a GREAT idea.

I'm going to get a face painting! My cousins Melissa and Matt are talented artists and they don't just paint little balloons on kids' faces. Oh no, Melissa and Matt customize their face painting skills to fit each patron's personal interests and needs. Melissa had already created a bracelet painting in USMA colors but that wasn't enough for me. I am the mama of a soldier. I needed an ARMY face painting. I offered my middle aged cheek to Matt and let him at it. 

After our abysmal performance as Isaac and the Tender Tones, (for which I hold no bitterness) I needed something to lift my spirits. I held perfectly still and Matt told me I was his best customer of the day as he carefully painted the ARMY logo on me. I told him I think there is a niche market directed at face painters for the over 40 crowd.  He has four kids so this might be a way to make some nice cash on the side. He said he'd get back to me about it. 

Afterward we went to the Skate Street Center for go-carting. There were a lot of interesting people there. Muffin tops, mullets, tattoos, cigarettes, facial hair, the Amish, the bikers, you name it, truly quite a curious assortment of humanity. In other words, I fit in quite well. No one gave me a weird look and even if they did, I wouldn't have cared.

When we returned, my brother-in-law asked me if I went out in public like that. It didn't cross my mind once to even wash it off. I was representin' my boy and a mama's gotta do what a mama's gotta do. 

In a future post, I'll offer you another way I included my son in the family portrait. Feel free to use my creative ideas to remember your special person far away. It won't bother me a bit. 

 

No comments: